Sunday, December 27, 2015

 The Windward side of Oahu, where the tradewinds blow up the steep walls of the Ko'olau's and the lifestyle and scenery has not changed much in centuries.  A two-laned (one for each side of traffic) road called, Kalaniana'ole Highway (is your tongue twisted?) circumnavigates this stretch I traveled today. We  call this area.. Waimanalo!

I know that this might be a little strange, as I usually post the same day that I walked, but, I had technical difficulties!  I'm using a picture from my walking program, because the map I use would take 6 pictures to show!  Just making it easier for you and me to see.  Taking almost 2 hours to complete about 5 miles, yes, it was a leisurely pace!

Fear, is an excellent motivator, and my first mile was a bit hairy!  Notice the skinny shoulder that barely fit me and the nearness of cars and don't forget the 1000 foot drop over the rail! Starting at the Makapu'u lookout, I walked my fastest during this part of the journey! Wearing my "construction yellow" shirt, I made it through safely!


Here is Makapu'u point from a different vantage point.  I call it, "the smoking lady," because it looks like a face with the lighthouse being the cigarette.  When the light revolves, it looks like she is taking a drag and the cigarette glows brightly.  Yes, I do have quite an imagination!  By the way, there is a trail that takes you very close to the lighthouse and is a great viewing place for breaching whales!


Who remembers "Magnum, P.I.?" The first photo is where "T.C." parked his charter chopper for "Island Hoppers."  The second is where Magnum lived with Jonathan Higgins and his Dobermans; Zeus and Apollo.  The lava looking wall blocking the estate is actually a motorized gate decorated to look as such.

A most welcome sight that I didn't even know existed!  My pace definitely slowed as I felt safer and the ocean and surf distracted me!

I don't know if I can convey the HUGENESS of this School bus, but, compare the size to the LARGE SUV's parked next to it!  I think that only 6'4" and above football players could get inside!  I couldn't see a step, so, watch that first step in and out and be careful when going under a low overpass!

Yes, my favorite!  Did I buy any?  Carrying emergency money with me, I bought two!  Waimanalo has a large percentage of Hawaiian Homestead Lands where to qualify for properties, you must be 50% Hawaiian or more.  Largely agricultural, they are known for their corn and salad vegetables with large hotels and restaurants purchasing their delicious fare!  By the way, the LauLau was ONO!(delicious!) 


Nearing the end of my journey, I passed by the Honolulu Polo Club grounds.  Thinking that the stabled ponies were being friendly, I should have realized that they probably were smelling the LauLau's and wanted some! Established in 1986, it used to be agricultural land. The matches start in May through October.  Tickets are $5 per head with children under 12 and military getting in FREE!  Relax and enjoy if you like Polo!  Tally ho and aloha (goodbye) until my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment