Friday, October 25, 2013

Seeing the scarecrow's plant-pot head from the distance, I thought that it was cute and appropriate to guard the garden against inquisitive animals.  Obviously, it attracted a "Walking Hawaiian!"  HaHa!
 
Today's journey seemed to be in "twos," as this Airplane Weather vane (with the propeller spinning away) was also in the same yard as the "pothead" scarecrow!
 
I bid a fond "Aloha" (good-bye) to Niu Valley as I finally completed the area with 2.98 miles.  My route was a crazy zig-zag to finish and attracted the attention of a van-driving resident.  Following me and parking to watch me near the end of my trek, I think she wanted to take down the license plate number of my car when I clambered in.  Too bad for her, since my NEW car still has temporary paper plates with only a date on it!  HaHa!  That must have frustrated her!  Next time, look at my T-shirt or just ask me what I'm doing!  Sheeesh!
 

Did I fail to mention that the homes in this area have LARGE properties, which many owners decide either to grow beautiful lush gardens or fill the area with home extensions and more garages.  These two pictures are from the same yard. With land at a premium, I give the resident credit for creating beauty instead!


As I strolled along, maybe my peripheral vision saw something looking at me, so I looked up and "EE-YAH!"  There was a giraffe staring at me!  I usually don't look up as I scan side to side.  The resident turned his property into an "Indonesian Oasis!"  I turned the corner and a fence of fragrant spices filled my nostrils!  I could have had FRESH spice condiments for my dinner by picking as I was walking! (No, I didn't do that!)

No, it's not just a bright, blue mailbox!  Please double click to see the details.  This is a breaking wave, with a surfer in the tube.  Can you see his ARM on the mailbox door and the tip of his surfboard coming out of the white-wash?  I liked the 3-D effect!

What I liked about this "second" mailbox is the painting of a Hawaiian bird, called the 'Elepaio.  Rarely seen on Oahu anymore, it was known as the guardian spirit of canoe builders.  Friendly, (opportunistic) it followed the canoe builders into the forest and if the 'elepaio was interested in a Koa tree, the canoe builders knew that the wood was infested with insects and would be unsuitable to use for a canoe.  The bird's call sounds like it's name, El-e-PAI-o!  So, if you hear that, you are listening to the 'elepaio calling!

Leaving the valley, I took a last look behind me and a final photo.  One chapter finished in my ongoing journey to explore ALL the streets of Hawaii.  A-LOOOOO-HA! (Bye!)

3 comments:

  1. Do you have some business cards made up? Some things that's says you are "The Walking Hawaiian" and have a blog with pictures and some historical information . . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, but the info on it is very simple. My name, my blog identifier and my quote, "Take a journey without the blisters!"

      Delete
  2. Hi The bird on the mailbox is a white rumped shama. Glad you enjoyed Niu Valley.

    ReplyDelete