Sunday, December 29, 2013

I know that our favorite saying is, "Hang Loose," but, this is a little disturbing!  The resident had a decoration malfunction I suppose!


Crazy enough, I must have HEIGHT FEVER, because heading up the mountain seems to be the routes I'm taking!  HaHa!  Actually, close to finishing Ka'ahumanu St., I thought it might be a good idea to do that.  I figured that it couldn't be as bad as Radar Hill Rd.!  Walking to the end and back doubled the distance to 4.39 miles for the day. 

Since today will be the last Walking Hawaiian for the year of 2013, a grand total should be announced!  Even though for the month of December, I trod a respectable 17.69 miles, I didn't succeed in my goal to reach the 600 mile mark to end the year of 2013, but managed to complete 586.32 miles.  With my foot problems hallmarking this year, I was still able to walk 159.96 miles this past year!

Named after Kamehameha's favorite wife, Ka'ahumanu, was a high-born chiefess, higher than Kamehameha himself.  After Kamehameha died, she became a Kuhina-nui and ruled jointly with Kamehameha II (Liholiho)  She broke the laws of Kapu, never to be used again.  Read the history about her, as she was an important part of change to the Islands.

Another interesting fact about this street is that the west side of the street is considered Pearl City, and the east side of the street is Aiea!  So, I walked in Pearl City and Aiea today! 

Somebody got company!  I hope that they were NICE all year!  HaHa!

Barren of leaves and flowers, this plumeria tree looked more like a decorated antler tree, don't you think?

Looking like ripe fruit, I wanted to pluck the decorations and have a bite!  I know that you're thinking that Donna must have had too much sun, but I think it had to do with the color of the balls.

Yes, Ka'ahumanu St. wasn't as bad as Radar Hill Rd., but it was still quite a climb.  What a welcome surprise and relief that a chair and a panoramic view awaited at the very end.

Barely visible surrounded by a monstera plant, I want to call this mailbox, "Hide and Seek!"

Only taking four years to produce all this lush vegetation, Jeff, the owner of the property was busily trimming and almost had a heart attack when I surprised him with my presence and voice!  HaHa!  That happens a lot with me, I don't know why?

With dedication and effort, Jeff and his wife accomplished so much in four years!  It starts with the first plant!  The New Year spurs renewed dedication to walking this beautiful Island of Oahu.  My efforts seem paltry compared to this garden, but progress is occurring!  I will see you all next year!  "Hau'ole Makahiki Hou!(Happy New Year!)

2 comments:

  1. I think the wind got to the "hang loose" giraffe. Great idea for the plumeria, I will have to do that to ours for next Christmas. Is that Jeff's walkway/driveway to his home? He did a fantastic job, but anything grows faster in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right about the wind! Jeff's house is lower on the ridgeline, with his driveway on the far end. His garden was terraced, starting from the sidewalk going down. He did say that he rarely watered it and there was no sprinkling system installed, so mostly rainwater produced the lushness!

      Delete