Tuesday, January 7, 2014

A single-man canoe and paddler about to launch into the waters of Ala Moana Beach park.  Originally called, Kalia, Ala Moana was a swampland occupied by many Hawaiian fishermen, numerous fish, ducks, birds, fish ponds and taro patches. The Princess Bernice Pauahi-Bishop estate sold the land to Walter F. Dillingham in 1912 for a tidy sum of $25,000 and immediately displaced many of the residents and filled the swampland with coral from nearby Dillingham dredging projects and created Ala Moana Beach Park.  Kalia lives on only as a road in Waikiki now. (Check the second map in the bottom right corner!)


Having an appointment in the area, I decided to accompany my daughter and do some "Walking Hawaiian" while there.  I forgot just how big Ala Moana Beach Park is, but I found out by trodding 4.71 miles on today's route.  Circumnavigating the park and Ala Moana Shopping Center, I was only one of many pedestrians who frequent the area.  Sapphire blue water, great shopping and interesting people made this walk a feast for the eyes!

The area, Ala Moana (path to the sea) was named after the shopping center.  When first built, it was the largest shopping center in the United States!  Even though it has lost this designation through time, its still known as the largest "open air" shopping center in the world today!




I just wanted to share images seen on my walk through Ala Moana Beach Park.  By the way, many varieties of established trees would entertain a knowledgeable botanist!


Though mostly parking for the shopping center, Kona St. (my namesake, Hawaiian for Donna) lengthens westward and hopefully better views since the east part of this street was finished today.

Passing by my FAVORITE mu'u mu'u store on Kapiolani Blvd., it took all of my self-control to not stop in and try on a few dresses!  Great prices and great designs, I WILL drop in for a look soon!  Hoping that your New Year is starting out fabulously!  Aloha No! (Lots of love!)

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures of Ala Moana and getting more "homesick"!

    ReplyDelete