Thursday, April 11, 2013

Yes, back up the hills!  This street called, "Kilauea Avenue," runs from Kaimuki to Kahala.  Today is an important date since this makes exactly one year since starting "The Walking Hawaiian" blog.  To celebrate, I decided to walk my old stomping grounds (apt, don't you think?).  So, I'm walking down memory lane, even though I think I drove around more than walked back then!  Ha Ha!

This perpendicular street was not far from where I took the picture, and it is named appropriately!


Today garnered 4.11 miles making the grand total this first year a blistering 471.13 miles. An even 500 would have been nice, but, I came up a little short.  Oh well!

These stairs to nowhere used to lead to two-story Army homes on "Fort Ruger," established in 1906 and named after Thomas H. Ruger, a Civil War General.  Fort Ruger was the site of Battery Harlow which was armed with eight 12" mortars.

Leahi hospital opened in 1901 cared for patients with tuberculosis and has transitioned to providing nursing home and adult day health services as well.

Known for it's cooking school, and medical associated degrees, Kapiolani Community College (otherwise known as KCC) has replaced the Fort Ruger Army housing since the Army relinquished the property back to the state.

Want to hike the Diamond Head trail to the summit?  Here is the entrance!  Where?  Located off of Diamond Head Road, of course!

A little obsessed?  Well, if this is your front yard, I believe so!  Practice makes better, yes?

Hmmmm, do we need the mailbox to be lit up at night?  This resident obviously thinks so!  The ends of the structure on top is the lights and in the middle is the solar panel.

Sometimes on my walk, I encounter places that pleases me immensely, and this was such a place.  It was almost a tunnel of well-groomed plants that smelt lovely and if a chair was nearby, I would have sat in it and pondered at the sight. It kind of reminds me of this CRAZY goal I have to walk all the streets of Oahu!  The path extends before me, but, beauty and adventure is always experienced along the way.   It is my wish that you encounter places that pleases you too!  A Hui Hou! (Until we meet again!)

No comments:

Post a Comment