Friday, May 24, 2013

This bronze behemoth, located off of Atkinson Dr. and in front of the Hawaii Convention Center, is called, "Gift of Water," symbolizing the spring offering water, like the Hawaiian people's generous nature and goodwill to newcomers. "Like life giving water, this wellspring of aloha nourishes all," taken verbatim from the plaque on the statue.  I had to walk this road before I even noticed it!  Did you know of it's existence?

If you haven't figured it out by now, yes, I am in Waikiki again.  This is the last time, as my jaunt through this vibrant town is complete.  Having to criss-cross and backtrack the area, 4.54 miles is what it took to finish.  By the way folks, I have just crossed the 500 miles marker since starting "The Walking Hawaiian!"  500.19 to be exact!  Woo-Hoo!

I have walked through here before, but this sign IS a new addition!  Taking the photo near the Ala Wai canal, with the arrow pointing to the walkway adjacent to the canal, I decided to research on the web about this!

Finding this CONCEPT map describing the "Lei of Parks," it was defined as a system of paths and bike lanes linking the City's regional and local parks as well as attractions.  A multi-use network for pedestrians, bicyclists and runners! (Sorry, no cars allowed! YES!)  From Diamond Head to the Aloha Tower, it spans 14.9 miles, including 24 separate segments.  So, is it complete?  Well, the sign is up, so Detective Donna says it must be!  I think that I should find out on my "walking Hawaiian" treks.  That would be FUN!

Looking at this HEADLESS design on the shirt, made me take pause, until I realized that the wearer's head would finish the picture.  That's when I thought, I should buy this shirt, since I'm a hula dancer!  HaHa!


Be in Waikiki, and not have pictures of the beach and waves?  Unpardonable!  The first picture is called the "Hilton Lagoon" off of the "Hilton Hawaiian Village Complex," of course!  The second is taken off of Duke Kahanamoku Beach Park, next to the Ala Wai Yacht Harbor.  Great surfing spots litter this area. (Very appropriate beach park name!)

 Art can be found in the most unlikely places.  Obviously a homeless individual resides in it's shade and protection, but what an artist who painted this!  I'm going to make an assumption that it was a homeless person.  When you see someone, judging their outside appearance is not who they are inside.  Hoping that you share "aloha" with someone today!  Aloha! (Bye!) 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mom!
    Yay! I got to read your blog! I wonder what it is like to see the world from your eyes. You catch so much that I don't see or really just haven't thought to think of. I remember that sign, lei of parks, and I just shrugged it off as hawaii tourism and the hawaii state government wasting money again , but what you pointed out was super cool! The concept of each park being like a flower on a lei! I'm learning so much about Hawaii from your blog, much more than any time, any class I have taken, and I'm so happy you share this to the world mom. Keep on walking! I look forward to more discoveries, and hope you continue to find beauty and meaning in Hawaii and the world. Aloha!

    ReplyDelete