Thursday, May 9, 2013

When I saw this, I wanted to hop into a canoe and paddle through.  The gentle tradewinds and the glassy waters looked so inviting!  Actually this is part of the drainage canal from Kaelepulu Pond which continues to Kailua Bay and the Pacific Ocean.  I call this area "Keolu," even though it is part of Kailua.

Yes, I know that 2.20 miles is not a long stretch of walking, but I visited my Auntie who lives in this area for a spell.  Sorry, people matter more than keeping to a program.  I can always continue my journey on another day.

I have never seen so much "Noni" in a concentrated area!  Also known as  "Indian Mulberry," Pacific Islanders have always known that it possesses medicinal properties.  The fruit contains the ingredient "morindin," which if eaten can lower cholesterol levels.  Unfortunately, ripe fruit smells and tastes nauseating!  The roots were used as red and yellow dyes for the ancient Hawaiians.  Mashed fruit was used to kill "Uku!"(head lice)

This mailbox has me totally confused!  First of all, what is the WOOD thing next to it?  Then, what is that writing down the front of it?  Japanese? Chinese?  What does it mean?  Lastly, the mailbox is in the shape of a barn.  Have you ever seen a BLUE barn?  In my experience, they are RED!


I loved these gardens!  I wonder if it rains, does the first picture "wheel" turn when water flows over it?  That would be fascinating to see!  The second picture was full of Hawaiian plants!  The aloe, taro and red ti leaf plants with lava rock and angel to add interest made for beautiful composition!

It took a double take to realize that these "plants" are part of the fence!  Made out of metal and replicas of the traveling palm, red ti leaf and short aloe, the resident's creativity impressed me!  Hoping that your creativity will inspire you to make something impressive too!  Malama pono! (Take good care!)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mom!
    Wooo! Doing more comments! I know these are coming awful late and it really is a treat and pleasure to finally being able to read these posts and join you on your adventure! (Please don't mind the bad grammar/ jumble mush of words). I'm so happy that I get this time today (Memorial day) for myself, but I would like to make it more a priority to keep on checking your blog more regularly and to comment on it.
    I remember that on this day that you posted, May 9th, was between my two finals and I was going to appointments and freaking out about my trip and really relying on your love and support. You were on this journey, I was taking my own, yet we were there together helping each other out and I think that is really something wonderful.
    I like that I get to go back to this day and that you've immortalized that moment in your pictures. I also really like how you know so much more than I do and are including such awesome information in your posts. I'm learning about the health properties of noni, the Indian Mulberry, how to get around Kailua, and how to compose exterior designs! Thank you for this post and imua on your journey! I'm with you every step of the way.

    ReplyDelete