Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Thank goodness this is only a statue.  Standing there taking a picture would be precarious if they were real.  I would have made a "BIG SPLASH," yes?  A memorial to all firefighters located at the corner of Queen St. and South St., is the Honolulu Fire Department Headquarters.  Called, "Hale Kinai Ahi," which translates to "The House that fights fires," the old and the new are connected structurally.  Did you notice that the firefighter in the back is FEMALE?  Right on!

Feeling like a change, I decided to further investigate Kaka'ako!  Walking a blistering 4.80 miles, so much history and beautiful murals are making it hard to omit any photographs I took today!  Rain, sometimes as a downpour, was my constant companion, yet, it kept me cooler than the constant glare of sunlight.





Almost every building had a mural on it and I had to get more and more selective due to the sheer number of wall art I came across.  POW WOW HAWAII, is a week-long event that artists from Hawaii and around the world paint murals.  What you see was the result of participants from 2013 and 2014. 

 I loved the Papa Mau Piailug painting which depicted a master navigator who trained Nainoa Thompson to sail the ancient Hawaiian way, by navigating using the stars.  Hokule'a, a double hulled canoe, soon will embark on a worldwide voyage which will take more than 3 years, and it's passengers will use skills taught by this man.

Since I couldn't post every mural, yet I think that they deserve a look, please link to my other blog by clicking "the walking hawaiian 2, and see more great works!


Out of everything I saw, this was my favorite.  It was the method he incorporated that fostered my admiration and respect for his art.  Using a carving technique as seen in the second photo, (by the way, I looked pretty weird taking the shot) Vhils, an artist from Portugal, gouged his way into the building to render his mural. A great technique to take out your frustrations, yes?

You know that as I walk, I scan the surrounding area for an item of interest.  Well, placing light posts and electric poles in a zig-zag configuration ON THE SIDEWALK, made it very difficult for me to walk Ala Moana Blvd!  Okay, so WHO got that great idea?


I never knew that a business would get an "A'li'i  post.  Well, the Kamaka Ukulele, family owned with a reputation for making high-quality instruments, are the patented owners of the "Pineapple Ukulele."  Fashioned by Samuel Kamaka Sr., it is their signature ukulele.  By the way, they have free tours at 550 South St., Tuesday - Friday at 10:30a.m. to 11:30a.m.  

Seeing this sight down Quinn Lane, it just looked out of place!  Reading a nearby plaque, I found out that this area is a remnant of Honuakaha Cemetery in which 1000 victims of a smallpox epidemic in 1853-54 are interred.  Taking 8% of Hawaii's population within 8 months, 2500-5750 deaths occurred.  Because of it, legislation for mandatory vaccination for residents and visitors alike, was enacted in 1854.

Coming upon a row of miniature plumeria trees, I had to show you the size by fitting a whole cluster of flowers within the palm of my hand.  Usually, one blossom would fill my palm.  Don't try making a lei (garland) out of this because it'll take you forever and you'll need five to six times more flowers!  

Well, I know that this blog seems like forever, so I'll close for now! E Malama Pono!  (Take good care!)

1 comment:

  1. "Rain, sometimes as a downpour, was my constant companion, yet, it kept me cooler than the constant glare of sunlight."

    Your writing is a work of art as well, Walking Hawaiian! I haven't heard you wax poetic like this, but it's a beautiful reminder of the loveliness of your mind, your musings, to top off your expressive dance and artistry. You live the true aloha way, with aloha in your heart, with all you say and do.

    Your information in this post is impressive! Auwe, no wonder it takes you sometimes many hours to research all this Hawaiian history, culture, art, botanics- you're becoming an expert historian and kumu of this aina. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with us and all your labor of love for this blog. I'm so glad you stuck with this for so long, a goal that seems overwhelming but is finite, and with every step you take you come closer to your goal. :)

    I miss you very much being so far away. Please continue the good work, learning, experiencing the land, its people, and being close to its rhythm and pulse! E malama pono nui loa.

    ReplyDelete