Monday, April 28, 2014

Admiring the blooming plumeria tree, I almost missed the thin, spotted, pink trunk and branches of another plumeria tree.  Shaded and intertwined with it's robust older sibling, if I wasn't walking I would have definitely not noticed it at all.  Why is it painted pink?  Is it their favorite color?  What do you think?


Continuing my trek in Kapolei, I added a respectable 3.75 more miles in the area.  Convoluted with tongue-twister Hawaiian names and numerous dead ends, I'm hoping that I won't be MORE mixed up AFTER completing this Leeward community.

Taking advantage of a beautiful, Hawaiian day, we (my husband accompanied me) strolled the wide, well manicured path along Kaiau Ave.  Gentle tradewinds and the radiant sun were our companions today.




Out-of-the-ordinary cars and plates were seen in today's journey.  The '71 Chevrolet Caprice Coupe with a concave curved back window had a cute license plate.  Double click  to see larger and read it!  
The Chevy Blazer had Hawaii plates that read, "DENVER!"   I guess that they're a little mixed up, yeah?  HaHa!  
 The Jeep Wrangler is barely recognizable with all the modifications done to it.  I hope that you can do the "split" so you can get into the car, and wear stretchy clothes so you DON'T split it!  HaHa!



I loved the splendor of vibrant plumeria flowers, and after being showered by the falling flowers of the Gold tree, I looked up and snapped a picture of the tree in full bloom.

Passing by a parked automobile, this sticker has me perplexed!  Is it a woman?  Man? Long hair and beard? Hand holding a pipe or cigarette?  What do you see?

Frisky kittens played together under a car with their ever watchful mommy nearby.  When I stepped closer to take a picture, they all quickly scrambled into a curb catchment drain.  Standing above it, I lowered my phone near the opening and snapped a picture.  Thinking I probably got nothing, I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to capture an image of one of the kittens hiding there!

Lucky for me, finding this plaque helped me to understand why this area is so called!  The distinctive cinder cone that forms the end of the Waianae mountain range is called, "Pu'u O Kapolei."  Used by the ancient Hawaiians as an astronomical sighting point.  The relationship of the sun's path on the hill determined the seasons of Oahu.  Kapolei means, "The lei (garland) of Kapo, who is the goddess of Hula.  Please double click the picture and read the complete description of Kapolei.

I am hoping that as I continue to discover Kapolei, that more information will be gained and shared on this blog to help you and I to get a better understanding of this aina (land).  Did you discover something new today?  Pomaika'i! (Good luck!)

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post!

    That be a car decal of no other than Bob Marley. He isn't smoking anything, just holding his hand up to his face in a contemplative gesture. Truly remarkable man.

    I loved the picture of the kitty! How cute! :3 I like how you had to (sneak to) approach them since they're so shy and skittish. I just read an email from the humane society saying not to rescue kitties unless they are abandoned by the mother- to wait and watch for at least several hours for the mother to possibly return (usually they go hunting). I didn't know that. I'm glad the poor sweethearts have their momma. Here's some more info about the humane society and rescuing animals: http://hawaiianhumane.org/Admissions

    Beautiful pictures, I still think you can sell em like professional for good money. They are always gorgeous, such a beautiful representation of Hawaii nei. Thank you for sharing your knowledge, your research, your journey, and your love of the land. Mahalo!!!

    ReplyDelete