Saturday, March 15, 2014

Yes, this threw me for a loop too as to what it was and what for?  Realizing that the building is a National Historic Landmark and that you can't alter the building even though handicapped people need access to the FORD ISLAND THEATRE, a short ride on this ELEVATOR will make it possible!

You are correct in assuming that I'm back on FORD ISLAND.  Feeling I can complete the area soon and enjoying the beautiful views was reason enough!  Encountering erroneous mapping tools, my eyeballs became the best information gatherer and my written route got thrown out the window! The total re-route added to 3.01 miles.  Did you notice all the road names?  All are names of Navy carriers with my favorite being, "Enterprise!"  Yes, I love STAR TREK!

Decorating the walls of the FORD ISLAND THEATRE, (becoming the FORD ISLAND CONVENTION CENTER in 2007) was this vintage movie poster, "Story of G.I.Joe!)  Have you ever seen it?  It was based partly on Ernie Pyle's column, "The Death of Captain Waskow." 

Who was ERNIE PYLE?  An American Journalist who became a war correspondent, earning a PULITZER PRIZE for journalism writing from the perspective of the common soldier.  Killed on the Island of Iejima (NW of Okinawa Island) by machinegun fire, he is one of the few civilians killed during the war and received the Purple Heart.  His final resting place is the  "National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific" on Oahu, known locally as Punchbowl Cemetery.

*If you would like to see his gravesite, go to my blog post on Oct. 3, 2012.

Many sights like this road, Kittyhawk, looked like roads that led to nowhere, but, I know that in the past there were buildings or maybe homes that crowded this parcel of land.  I like to imagine what it might have been previously!

Would you like to work here?  Must be pretty caustic stuff to have this receptacle nearby for quick clean-up!

Walking just below the Air Control Tower, I had to take another picture to get a different perspective!  Would I like to walk up the stairwell?  NO WAY!  Better be an elevator somewhere!

*More detailed information can be found on my Feb. 25, 2014 post if you are interested!

And what do you think this is?  Detective Donna thinks that these are Oil Barriers!  They may be Silt barriers or boat barriers?   I like the color anyway!  HaHa!

Called, "Manning the Rails," is the memorial to all the lost seamen of the USS Oklahoma.  The black granite looks like the hull of the ship with the white posts resembling the sailors standing on deck in full dress uniforms.  Every post represents an individual who was lost equaling 429 souls, coming home for the last time.

Normally, not seen closely due to the height of the "African Violet Tree,"( topping at 70 feet!), the blossoms from this tree are huge and the color quite vibrant.  I enjoyed the opportunity to take a detailed picture of this flower's beauty.  Please double click the picture to see up close!  Never say to yourself, I'll come back later to do something.  It only takes a moment, and you'll never have regrets!  Aloha no! (Lots of love!)

No comments:

Post a Comment