Tuesday, March 4, 2014

This 3-D, life-size representation of the "VJ" day kiss,  stood dramatically in front of the USS Missouri, showing its role in ending World War II.  Docked off of Ford Island in Pearl Harbor, it's now fulfilling it's newest role as a "Museum Ship!"

Being the first sunny day since February, today I was inspired to complete more of Ford Island.  A very circuitous route, I had to refer to my written route many times, but, thank goodness, NO DETOURS!  Compact, it still took 3.93 miles to finish this area.

Also known as "Mighty Mo," this is the last commissioned battleship by the United States. Commissioned in 1944, it fought in the battles of "Iwo Jima," and Okinawa.  This ship held the ceremony for Japan's surrender, with the Prime Minister signing the official documents.

Decommissioned in 1955, it was reactivated and modernized in 1984, becoming a part of "Operation Desert Storm."  Decommissioned again in 1998, its now a museum ship and became a movie star with a starring role in the film, "Battleship!"  If you are a history buff or just want to learn more about battleships, I recommend you take the tour!

Well, today is "Mardi Gras!"  Touring mostly housing, this home decorated for the occasion!  No, I did NOT walk around topless to acquire beads!

Lucky for me, I walked through a street lined with Tiare!  This gardenia relative welcomed my journey with wonderful fragrance.

You can get this view without taking the boat ride to Arizona Memorial by exploring Ford Island's residential area.  Standing on the shoreline, viewing the memorial, it  still evokes the emotion of solemn tragedy.

The "stick-on" decoration  on the mailbox made me hungry for PINEAPPLE!

Seeing something sparkling in the bushes lining the street, I realized that it was a discarded push scooter!  I hope that the owner just put it there in a hurry and will retrieve it later!  As usual, surprises commonly await me in my continuing journey to walk every street on Oahu.  I hope that a nice surprise awaits you to keep you on your toes everyday!  Happy Mardi Gras and Aloha No!(Lots of love!)

1 comment:

  1. Ah! What a beautiful walk. I love the tiare, the information about the battleship (didn't know it was modernized) and Mardi Gras. It's really nice to see the world through your eyes, I love reading your blog. Keep going, more adventures await you! I'm certain our ancestors are following you along your walk, marveling at all the changes of the aina with you.

    ReplyDelete