Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Is this a view you would like to see while dining?  53 by the Sea, is a restaurant that serves Italian fare and spectacular views.  Originally the spot where the John Dominis Restaurant stood, it was torn down and been replaced with this new edifice.  The dinner menu is $$$$, but the lunch menu is reasonable!  By the way, do you know who*John Dominis was? ** Can you also tell me what plant is represented on the wall grill and the stairwell grill?


Open the massive front doors and the stairwell leads to a chapel where you can get married.  Please don't forget to order some Dom Perignon with your meal!  Not me, I rather buy a new car with the money!  HaHa!

You are correct!  Kaka'ako is complete!  Finding a fearless friend to walk with me, it took 3.49 miles to finish the area.  Planning to walk quite a distance, I was met with roads converted into parking lots and LOTS of locked or guarded fences.  Check out all the black XX's along the shoreline.

Nevertheless, concluding this walk has brought me to 20.52 miles for the month of June and the Grand total of 701.26 miles! Passing the 700 mile mark makes me feel a great sense of accomplishment!

Strolling to the Kaka'ako Waterfront Park, I espied Point Panic.  Wondering why they would call it such, I took a look over the walkway.  Well, the waves curl close to the rock barrier and you better get out of the wave or you'll crash into the rocks.  

Of course, the only way in is by carefully inching your way down the rocks into the crashing waves, then swim or paddle out.  Slippery moss and opihi(limpet shellfish) covered rocks does not give you good footing.  Collecting lots of opihi ( a Hawaiian delicacy!) might make it feasible, but watch out for the churning wave action!

This was one of many sights I saw today, barring my way to walk all of the streets. Found about half-way in on Channel St., this can be frustrating, but I know that there's always the possibility.

More art pieces found at the John A. Burns School of Medicine complex.  Not being able to find a name or the artist, your interpretation would be as good as mine.  Maybe you could take it's location as a clue as it is in front of the Cancer Center.

Here is the work of the son of my good friend.  It took walking the whole of Kaka'ako to find it, but I did!  Yes, he is Paradise Boys Forever!

Even though I passed this way before, this work is NEW!  Saying, Be a Voice, not an Echo, is a thought to contemplate!  I loved the vibrant colors and the crafted doilies located inside the letters.  Make sure to double click the picture to enlarge and view the details!

Rarely seen, (at least by me) is the variegated leaves of the shell ginger plant.  Normally, dark, solid, green leaves showcase the ginger.  These little surprises always count as a reward for continuing my lofty goal a step at a time.  I hope that rewards come your way as you continue to pursue your aspirations!  A Hui Hou! (Until we meet again!)

* Answer to who is John Dominis - Queen Liliuokalani's husband!
**Answer to plant on the grill - Beach naupaka!  (Read yesterday's blog for more info!)

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I'm so impressed! 700 miles, congratulations!! You'll soon be able to say that you walked 1000 miles, my favorite song lyric "Forever, forever, I'll walk a thousand miles just to tell her, to tell her, our love was still alive" (Billy Talent). Or maybe some other thing where they talk about a 1000 miles, such as "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    If anything, you can brag that you walked 1126.54 kilometers. But hey, we live in America, and the metric system has no power here. :P
    Awww, I wish you didn't put the answers up yet! I saw it before I could make a guess. I had no idea Queen Liliuokalani was married! I always imagined her as this stalwart woman ruling the Hawaiian kingdom. Wow. Where have I been?
    And I'm super glad you took pictures of the artwork. The Paradise boys was an interesting work, definitely commanded quite a bit of attention. A pizza slice wave? A pineapple grenade? I also saw they used the infinity symbol in their 4*lemniscate*vr.
    I really enjoyed going on this walk with you.

    Congratulations again!

    P.S: for the "This comment has been removed by the author"- Sheesh, just wanted to edit my comment because there were some spelling errors. No love from blogspot. :|

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darcie, I didn't want to leave anyone hanging, that's why I posted the answers at the end. Sorry I ruined your contemplation. Could you identify the plant? Thank you for your words of congratulation!

    ReplyDelete