Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Hmmm!  Wonder what this is?  Yes, the one and only "Diamond Head!"  Talk about change of pace!  I did the traditional walking route of most locals, I walked around Kapiolani Park.  I had business in town, so, I thought that a walk around the park would be fun!  Accompanied by my daughter today, it made my trek so much nicer!

Beautiful trees and a nicely paved sidewalk, 2.50 miles went by in a breeze.  An interesting history, please read the plaque I passed by!

Double click this picture to read!  Very illuminating!

"The Walking Hawaiian" doing what she does best...walking!  This banyan tree graces the path and was fun to walk under its protective branches.

As my daughter pondered over jumping in the fountain or not, I reminisced about practicing parallel parking along this street, swimming, boogie boarding and surfing in this area.

Known as the Waikiki Natatorium War Memorial, it's the largest salt water pool in the United States and was built in 1927 as a memorial to WWI men and women war veterans.  Closed, but still standing, its still in contention either to destroy it entirely, restore it completely or just leave the entranceway, destroy the rest and make it another beach.

Next to the Natatorium is the Waikiki Aquarium, another long-standing edifice still visited by many. First opened in 1904, it's the third oldest Aquarium in the United States.

The "Kapiolani Park Bandstand" has changed a lot since its beginnings, and is undergoing another renovation as we speak! The "Royal Hawaiian Band" performs here every Sunday at 2:00pm.

How could I not include the "Waikiki Shell!"  It still holds many concerts today, but, if you just want to listen, put a blanket down in the park and relax and enjoy the FREE entertainment!  Hope you are enjoying your day!  Aloha awakea!(Good morning!)

No comments:

Post a Comment