Friday, October 12, 2012

What... you say?  Waikiki again?  I guess that the third time is the charm!  I didn't DELETE the photos today!  Am I trying to test fate?  No, my daughter wanted to go surfing, and she is getting very spoiled having me drop her off near the area she likes to surf.  Of course, it is "killing two birds with one stone" mentality by walking in the nearby area likewise!  Check out the nice surf and the gorgeous sky since the refreshing tradewinds are back!

Found near the pier off of Waikiki, it is a great place to boogie board.  Although I am an avid boogie boarder, I have never seen a seal in the water with me yet.

Double click the photo to see the boogie boarders catching a sweet wave.  The conditions were glassy and not too small!


I quickly studied my map to figure out a route and decided to fill in the puka's(holes) created from previous walks.(the ones that have no pictures!)  Due to another event to attend today, I only walked for 56 minutes, yet was able to complete 3.14 miles, with the week total coming to 20.20 miles and the grand total of 397.37 miles to date.

I discovered that the side streets had bike rentals...

Hostels (I didn't know Hawaii had them!)...

Interesting eateries...


And a Waikiki Community Center!

Even a bus drive-thru was decorated with lively florals!

Paintings festooned a "hole-in-the-wall" eatery and this one was my favorite.  Honestly, folks, when I think of Waikiki, I think of tourists and try to avoid it as much as possible.  Since I've become "The Walking Hawaiian," I am enjoying the energy and enthusiasm Waikiki possesses.  Now, I keep asking my daughter when she is going surfing, so I can go with her and experience more of Waikiki.  I hope that you will find something to reassess and surprise yourself too!  E Malama Pono!(Take good care!)

2 comments:

  1. that's not a "pier" in Waikiki (no boat can dock), it's know as "da Wall", which is actually an outlet from a storm drain. Great place to boogie board, I used to use the small orange serving tray from McDonald's, floats and easy to tuck and roll with. The #14 DaBus route stops right there and takes me straight home up Maunalani Height! I used to be able to see the surf from my house but now all the hotels block the view of the surf. Auwe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the correction, Pat! Can you still catch waves with the McDonald's tray now?

      Delete